Turkestan day tour
Starting/ending point: Shymkent city
Driving distance: 350 km from Shymkent and back
Start time: 07:30 am Almaty time
Availability season: all year round
Tour language: English | Russian
Tour activities: Sightseeing
- Archeological site of Otrar ancient city
- Arystan Bab mausoleum
- Khoja Ahmed Yassawi mausoleum
We are glad to invite you to a day tour of the most significant historical places of Southern Kazakhstan, where you can get closer to the history of the people of Central Asia, touch the monuments of medieval architecture and get an unforgettable experience from what you see for long memory.
Firstly you will head towards the ruins of Otrar fortified city, which was one of the largest cities in Central Asia on the route of the Great Silk Road. The city dates from the period from the beginning of our era to the XIX century. In 1219, the сity bravely fought with the army of Genghis Khan and was under siege for almost half a year, as a result, it was captured, plundered and almost the entire population destroyed. The great conqueror Amir Timur lived before a grand campaign to China and died in Otrar of a fever in 1405.
Before visiting the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yassawi it's considered mandatory to visit the mausoleum of Arystan Baba - a teacher and spiritual mentor of Khoja Ahmed Yassawi.
Next, you will arrive in the ancient city of Turkestan, formerly known as Yassy - which was a fortified city in the Middle Ages. You will see with your own eyes the most beautiful architectural monument of Kazakhstan - the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yassawi, included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. This is a true masterpiece of medieval architecture with several domes and a grand entrance portal. Persian architects were involved in the construction of the mausoleum, innovative solutions were used, as in the construction of Samarkand (the capital of Timurids - in the time of Tamerlan).
• Not recommended for travelers with serious medical conditions, high/low blood pressure;
• Not recommended for pregnant women;
• Not recommended for travelers who can not withstand long trips by car/long walks;
• Travelers should have at least a low physical fitness level.
- 07:30 Pick-up and departure from Shymkent
- Trip to the archeological site of Otrar (150 km)
- Excursion around the Otrar museum-reserve
- Visiting of the Arystanbab mausoleum
- Trip to Turkestan city
- Excursion at the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yassawi, hammam, ground mosque, underground Sufi shelter, mausoleum Rabiya Sultan Begim
- Lunch in the cafe of Central Asian cuisine
- Way back to Shymkent
- 18:00 Drop-off
⚠️ [Visits to any of the tour sites may be canceled and their order changed in case of adverse weather conditions and other circumstances beyond our control.]
OPTIONS & PRICES
✅ Your address in Shymkent pick-up/drop-off
✅ Comfortable vehicle
✅ English-speaking tour guide
✅ Lunch in the cafe of Central Asian cuisine
✅ Bottled water
✅ Entry tickets
Number of people
⚠️ [If you are more people, contact us and we will make an individual calculation for you.]
GROUP TOUR SCHEDULE 2023
Small groups of 5-15 tourists
Perfect for couples and solo travelers
Enjoying the trip, having fun and meeting new people
Budget savings and more travel
GROUP TOUR JOINING
[Here you can book your place on a group tour by yourself specifying the number of people and selecting an available tour date]
⚠️ [To accept online payment from your bank card, we use PayPal as a payment gateway, so you can securely pay with any international debit/credit card. No need to have or create a PayPal account.]
PRIVATE TOUR BOOKING
[Here you can submit a request to book a private tour. We will try to respond to you within 24 hours.]
Prepayment (30% of the tour cost for the Private tours, 20% for the Group tours) is required to confirm your booking. The remaining amount must be paid at the start of the tour.
To accept online payments from bank cards, we use PayPal as a payment gateway, so you can securely pay with any international debit/credit card. No need to have or create a PayPal account.
- Customer can change the details or cancel the booking no later than 72 hours before the start of the tour with the possibility of a 70-90% refund of the tour cost. After this time, no refunds will be made.
FIXED-DATE GROUP TOURS
- Customer can change the details or cancel the booking no later than (24 hours - for day tours; 72 hours - for multi-day tours) before the start of the tour with a full refund of the tour cost. After this time, no refunds will be made.
- A minimum number of tourists and suitable weather are required. If these criteria are not met, the tour will be canceled no later than 48 hours before the start and you will be offered a different date/tour or a full refund.
Any tour/booking can be canceled in case of force majeure with a full refund.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED
Karatau mountains day trip
Starting/ending point: Shymkent city
140 km from Shymkent and back
Availability: April - October